The Instigator
mariahsaywhaaa
Pro (for)
Winning
98 Points

death penalty

Do you like this debate?NoYes-6
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg
Vote Here
Con Tied Pro
Who did you agree with before the debate?
Who did you agree with after the debate?
Who had better conduct?
Who had better spelling and grammar?
Who made more convincing arguments?
Who used the most reliable sources?
Reasons for your voting decision
1,000 Characters Remaining
The voting period for this debate does not end.
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 12/7/2007 Category: Society
Updated: 14 years ago Status: Voting Period
Viewed: 60,132 times Debate No: 161
Debate Rounds (3)
Comments (65)
Votes (50)

marge11

Con

two wrongs don't make a right. killing people who kill people isn't teaching anyone anything except to reciprocate with something more dramatic and unnecessary.
mariahsaywhaaa

Pro

Okay good point, but putting a mass murder in jail and having tax payers pay for 3 square meals and a pretty decent life isn't teaching anyone especially them any lesions.
Debate Round No. 1
marge11

Con

everyone makes mistakes, some worse than others. but everyone deserves a second chance. if someone would go as far to intentionally kill someone, then something must be clinically wrong with them. whether it's out of anger, envy, or jealousy they have a twisted way of thinking that killing the person who is making them feel like that is the best way to go. anyone who thinks like that should see a therapist, not be considered a liability to our country.
mariahsaywhaaa

Pro

if someone does "go insane" and kills a mass amount of people or even just one, and is convicted who do you think is paying for there therapist?!
Debate Round No. 2
marge11

Con

the same people who are paying to keep them in prison. the same people who pay for their meals. the same people who pay for lethal injection. it's more convenient and saves money to use capitol punishment over a life sentence, but no one has the authority to chose whether someone lives or dies.
mariahsaywhaaa

Pro

it's not that it's just cheaper but if no one has that authority to take someone else's life then the person that commited that crime must reap the same doing. if someone decides one day to take someones life for no good reason then they should in my opinion get the same treatment.

"an eye for an eye"
Debate Round No. 3
65 comments have been posted on this debate. Showing 41 through 50 records.
Posted by Ineffablesquirrel 14 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
"Hmm, have you actually gone through an execution? Do you know how painful it is? No, it isn't possible to know these things, so you cannot rationally make such an encompassing statement." [said in regards to your statement that it isn't quick or painless]

Since we're playing the "quote me" game...I also said the above statement because I agree with you. If you weren't so busy focusing on one part of a statement, you would get the whole meaning of the comment.

My point was that based on a retributive or "eye for an eye" ideology, it would be better to let someone "rot in prison", than kill them a lot quicker (and less painfully) than the long stay in prison (i.e. prison is a slow, unhappy death while execution is quicker and less painful). I was arguing this because someone brought up the retributive/eye for an eye ideology and said that the death penalty was indicated as something they agree with (based on retribution). I was mentioning that perhaps a prison stay was more painful, emotionally, mentally, and most likely physically than an execution would be.
Posted by nene_cinci 14 years ago
nene_cinci
But the only thing i had addressed about your comment was the quick and painless part. And this is what you said
"They just rot in prison (which in my opinion, if we're basing this argument on retribution/"eye for an eye" ideology) is a worse punishment than death (which is moderately painless and quick)."
So how can you say you never said that. And if you didn't mean to say it, then say what you mean and mean what you say, because this isn't something we just walk about, it is apart of people's lives.
Posted by Ineffablesquirrel 14 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
Actually I never said it was quick and painless. You should read what I did say and you would realize that. What I did say is that no one can know how painless it is, which is basically EXACTLY what you just said.

I also said quite a number of other things that ARE true about the cost-ineffectiveness of the death penalty.

I will have a nice life. Thank you.
Posted by nene_cinci 14 years ago
nene_cinci
YOUR WRONG!!!!!!!! your wrong and what you said before, was WRONG!!. No one knows if lethal injection is painless and a quick way to die. So what you said was wrong. I am sorry mr college degree in criminology, but you are wrong. not a little bit wrong but REALLY WRONG. so move on to something that you know about, and not just think you know about more than me. And sure you know more about the death penalty then me. But that doesn't make that statement you said any more right, because you are wrong when it comes to that statement. And that was what it really boiled down to, not your extreme intelligence!! haha because in my opinion you write like your intelligent but thats it. nothing else. so have a nice life.
Posted by Ineffablesquirrel 14 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
Notice, I have still YET to say I'm the complete expert (i.e. "high and mighty") on the death penalty. I still stand by everything I've said previously. And I really don't think I (or anyone with a degree or some study in the field) should have to "prove" ourselves to a high school student who learned the subject for FIVE weeks. But alas...

I guess you are unaware but in college you get to choose what classes you would like to take. Therefore, the classes I HAVE taken about the death penalty are longer, more diversified, more intellectual, and more difficult than any class you could have taken at a high school level. This is just the nature of the differences between high school and college.

Just because I didn't study the death penalty for three years doesn't mean my professors aren't/weren't in the fields that deal with the death penalty (corrections and law) and they didn't give me a more complete knowledge than a high school teacher could. Also, you said you only studied the death penalty for five weeks...not a full year of classes, therefore, me studying the death penalty for even ONE semester (that's the way colleges break the school year down) would allow me to (according to you) have greater knowledge about the death penalty.

Also, no degrees are about one specific topic until you get into a graduate program where you choose what topic you want to focus on and you write a dissertation on it...etc.

And the reason I can say what I said before is because it's true.
Posted by nene_cinci 14 years ago
nene_cinci
I am in high school and the course is called social justice. But your degree in criminology wasn't just about the death penalty. That is what I was trying to get across. You didn't just go day after day learning about the death penalty. so what makes you the high and mighty person to be going around saying things like you said.
Posted by Ineffablesquirrel 14 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
Okay, so we're basically saying a high school course (I'm assuming, please enlighten me what exactly the course was for) is far more significant than three years of criminological study? You shouldn't downplay the importance and difficulty of college. Do you plan on going to college? Because if so you will learn how much more difficult college is because the information is presented at a much higher intellectual level than previous years of study (i.e. high school and below), as well it should be. In addition, study of a specific topic allows you to better understand that topic and how it relates to the world. Criminology just happens to be the topic I have always been interested in and the topic I chose as one of my majors in college.

I am not basing my opinion on a website, but rather my comprehensive knowledge of the issue based on over three years of learning. That website was just an easily accessible site for those who wanted to learn about the death penalty. Clearly its a great site if you spent two weeks learning from it in your class.

I never claimed to be an expert in anything, but I think I have a very diversified education on criminology (and government). I wouldn't attend college if I thought the education I'm gaining was not helping me in the present and future.
Posted by nene_cinci 14 years ago
nene_cinci
And what makes you the expert? Your degree in criminology? Don't make me laugh. But I can tell you that I have learned more than you in the past five weeks then you knew from reading for a couple of minutes on some website. I studied deathpenaltyinfo.org for two of the weeks I was learning about the death penalty.
Posted by Ineffablesquirrel 14 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
You're absolutely right. Five weeks of studying the death penalty makes you an expert.
Posted by nene_cinci 14 years ago
nene_cinci
I didn't say "have you ever talked to someone in prison". i asked it. it was a quesion. as in answer it with out being an idiot. and do not talk to me as if i am a child. because as you dont know when i said i was sure they aren't raising their hands to be put to death, i was using some common sense, which i can tell you don't have. But i can understand that if you have a decree in criminology. this is not personal and i do understand. i have just went through five weeks of learning about the death penalty in school. and yes i do know that most states have lethal injection, but do you really believe that it is quick and painless? seriously....? I really can't believe it myself b/c even though they are injected with sodium thiopental, the pancuronium bromide causes their lungs to be paralyzed. Then the potassium chloride causes the person to go into cardiac arrest. how could something like that not be felt. But believe me when i say that I hope you are right because I don't want the people to be dying in as much pain as a lot of experts say they could be dying. But in this case I guess we will never know.
50 votes have been placed for this debate. Showing 1 through 10 records.
Vote Placed by carriead20 7 years ago
Agreed with after the debate:-Vote Checkmark-0 points
Who had better conduct:-Vote Checkmark-1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:-Vote Checkmark-2 points
Total points awarded:06
Reasons for voting decision: death penalty is swift ans just
Vote Placed by vmpire321 10 years ago
vmpire321
marge11mariahsaywhaaaTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:--Vote Checkmark3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:00
Reasons for voting decision: fffffffail. Btw, did anyone notice they come from the same city?
Vote Placed by 16kadams 10 years ago
16kadams
marge11mariahsaywhaaaTied
Agreed with before the debate:-Vote Checkmark-0 points
Agreed with after the debate:-Vote Checkmark-0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:03
Reasons for voting decision: fail
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 10 years ago
Agreed with after the debate:-Vote Checkmark-0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:--Vote Checkmark3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:00
Reasons for voting decision: This was the worst debate I've ever seen.
Vote Placed by Alchemistress 10 years ago
Agreed with after the debate:Vote Checkmark--0 points
Who had better conduct:Vote Checkmark--1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:Vote Checkmark--1 point
Made more convincing arguments:Vote Checkmark--3 points
Used the most reliable sources:Vote Checkmark--2 points
Total points awarded:70

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use.